There are plenty of reasons to go with a handheld milk frother:
- They take up very little counter space
- Fast and easy to use
- Portable for using while traveling
- Can be used with any dairy or non-dairy substitute
- Use for vinaigrettes and sauces in addition to frothing dairy for coffee drinks
- Easy to clean – just rinse it under the tap
- Most inexpensive style of milk frother available
A handheld milk frother is not the right tool for everyone. If you need to heat your milk for frothing, for example when making a latte, then you will need to heat your milk separately. If this is something that you are not willing to compromise on, check out our review of the best milk frothers for latte for some models that will heat and froth your milk in the same step.
Our review is tailored to try to help you find the absolute best model for your specific needs. We include a review of the best handheld milk frother in each of the following categories:
- Best Overall
- Best Budget
- Best Design
- Best Dual Speed
PowerLix – Top Overall
All other things being equal, this is our top overall pick in handheld milk frothers. It has a great balance of features, reasonable price and modern design.
This model has a powerful 19,000 RPM motor which is powered by two AA batteries. It makes quick work of frothing, regardless of the type of milk or non-dairy substitute that you use. 15-20 seconds is all you need in most cases to get a rich foam for your favorite coffee drink.
This is a quality gear for the coffee aficionado. It has a commercial grade 18/20 stainless steel whisk, single button operation, and sleek design. This would be an excellent choice for your countertop or as the perfect wedding gift.
- Powerful 19,000 RPM motor is strong enough for other applications like whisking eggs, milkshakes and thick sauces
- Battery operated to maximize portability and counter space
- Two colors to choose from: black and red
- The modern design and simple stand give this model some style points
- 18/20 stainless steel whisk – quality construction
- 100% money back guarantee for 90 days
- Like all handhelds, you will need to heat your milk separately
- Plan on replacing batteries every year or so
MatchaDNA Handheld Milk Frother – Budget Pick
Under $7 each!!
And if that deal isn’t good enough for you, MatchDNA also sells a 6-pack deal for even less per unit, making this a great choice for party favors or office gifts. Don’t forget to keep one for yourself!
You can see why this made our best budget pick. But is too cheap to buy? We don’t think so. With a full year manufacturer guarantee you can buy with confidence. The motor is powerful enough for both milk frothing as well as saucing and emulsification purposes.
The only downsides are that this model may take a little more time to froth because of a slightly slower rpm and the design is, well, just average. Still, a fabulous price for a functional handheld milk frother.
- Inexpensive coming in at under $7. Get an even better deal if you buy the 6 pack deal
- Ergonomic design handle with one button operation
- Useful for milk, cream, soy, coconut and almond milk
- Powerful motor will also emulsify vinaigrette and sauces
- One full year manufacturer guarantee
- Will take a little longer to make a rich foam than some other handhelds, up to 60-90 seconds
- Not the most attractive design, other models will be better for those looking to compliment a modern décor
Aerolatte Deluxe Edition – Best Design
If you are interested in spending a little more for a very high-end look for your modern style kitchen, this is the choice for you. First off, Aerolatte made some of the first handhelds to hit the market when fancy homebrewed coffee went big. They have been perfecting their design ever since, and many coffee buffs would choose this handheld based on name brand alone.
The design of the milk frother and the stand are perfectly integrated with a very high end brushed steel finish. If color is more your thing, check out the black, blue, moo, white or union jack designs on the listing.
- Professional look and quality – perfect for those that want a high-end look
- Trusted name in milk frothers
- Fast operation – full froth in as little as 20 seconds
- Use with any milk, including non-dairy alternatives
- Use to emulsify vinaigrettes, whip meringue, or smooth out sauces
- 18/8 professional grade stainless steel
- Full two year guarantee
- Coming in at just under $30, this more of an investment than many other handheld milk frothers
- You will need to heat your milk separately if you plan to use it for hot applications like latte or cappuccino
BOCHA – Best Dual Speed Milk Frother
If you are hoping to make latte art with your handheld milk frother, this is the model to go with. Dual speed will give you maximum control over the exact consistency of your foam so that you can create both larger or smaller air pockets.
Though dual speed is unlikely to add up to much difference for the average coffee drinker, those interested in learning the art of making beautiful designs on lattes or creamy soups will appreciate the subtle texture differences high and low speeds can create.
- Dual speed motor for maximum control over texture for latte artists
- Simple yet elegant modern design
- Powerful motor is strong enough for most culinary uses that call for a whisk
- Stainless steel construction
- Cordless operation with two AA batteries (included)
- Over 80% of customers on Amazon rate this model at 5 stars!
- BOCHA is a relatively new company, founded in 2015
- A little pricier than some other models
We hope you have found this review of the best handheld milk frothers helpful. If you are interested in learning about other coffee-related gear, check out these pages.